The museum was erected in 1957 next to the Huguenot monument and was officially opened in March 1967.

The monument building is the rebuild of the old Saasveld Building formerly located in Kloof Street, Cape Town which was demolished in 1954. When the Saasveld building was torn down each brick was numbered and when it was reconstructed in Franschhoek each brick was placed in its original position.