The Huguenot monument was launched on the 17th of April 1948.
At the centre of the monument there is a female figure positioned on top of an earth globe with a bible in her right hand, a broken chain in her left and a French lily (the symbol of spirit and character) on her robe. The monument’s purpose is to show us that the French Huguenots are eventually free from religious persecution.
A bible, a harp, a sheath of corn, a grape vine and a spinning are positioned on the Southern point of Africa on the Earth globe. These represent the religion, arts and culture, agriculture, viticulture and the industry of the Huguenots who inhabited this area.
The tree arches above represent the Holy Trinity; Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, the Sun shines over religious freedom and the cross is a symbol of Christian Faith. The water pond is still as it reflects the monument behind it and it shows that after much conflict the Huguenots are now at peace.